Friday 8 April 2011

Shabbat 101 - Or How to get lost in Mea She'arim

My friends and I just managed to get lost on the outskirts of Mea She’arim on the way back from the Old City!! (Remind me never to let someone suggest a 'short cut' ever again?!)

For those of you who don’t know, Mea She’arim is one of the big Ultra Orthodox neighbourhoods in West Jerusalem, and it is literally only a street or two away from where I am staying (hence the number of Haredim I keep seeing).

It was pretty tense…because I’ve heard so many stories about the place, and suddenly I was very aware of the fact that I wasn’t wearing a skirt, but jeans…and we were three women alone on the outskirts of Mea She’arim at the start of Shabbat!!!

YIKES!

Luckily for us nobody was mean, and three very nice Haredi women helped us on our way out of the neighbourhood. I nearly died when I saw the sign indicating the neighbourhood…The Haredi fascinate me, but I don’t want to go there again in a hurry!

Shabbat Shalom everyone - some pictures and a longer post coming either later of tomorrow with a relaxing Shabbat morning ahead of me! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment or ask a question - just play nicely please!